Tuesday, April 1, 2008
SIHH 2008 Preview: Cartier Ballon bleu de Cartier
Cartier opens the watchmaking year at SIHH 2008 with a new version of the Ballon bleu de Cartier, this time with a masculine touch. Still the quintessential dandy watch, Cartier displays its peerless design savvy with the soft curves that typify this model.
Actually, that is an understatement. Present are the usual ball-like shape, the quirky crown (with a blue sapphire cabochon) and winding mechanism and the distorting glass however this time Cartier introduces a leather strap. The Ballon bleu de Cartier watch is round on the top and underneath, but upon closer inspection the shape is somewhat more complex: a watch that seems to fit the wrist weightlessly, as if the two were already acquainted. Cartier plays with the shapes and challenges your mind in the view of aesthetics. Perhaps masculine, perhaps feminine?
The winding mechanism is decorated with a sapphire cabochon, around which the dial orbits, and is more imposing than ever before due to a precious metal protective arch. Pictures cannot fully convey the unusual personality of the watch. Surely, the serious watch lover can pause to admire the audacity of the piece – and the audacity of its owner.
Although Ballon Bleu is available in 3 different sizes (28.5mm, 36.5mm, and 42mm) the last larger size is the one displayed in in pink gold. Available in different metals (WG, RG) as well in SS the automatic watch can also serve up the time – hours, minutes and seconds – in a very peculiar and distinguished way. The new Cartier Ballon Bleu watches range from $4,950 to $46,000, and there is even a limited edition version the sells for $950,000.
* 18 carat rhodium-plated white gold case (also available in pink gold and SS).
* Hour, minute, second and date functions.
* 18 carat rhodium-plated white gold fluted crown decorated with a blue sapphire
* Varnished silvered opaline guilloche dial, black Roman numerals, date window at
* Blued steel sword-shaped hands.
* Crystal sapphire.
* 18 carat rhodium-plated white gold bracelet (also available in pink gold and
* 18 carat rhodium-plated white gold safety clasp(also available in pink gold and
* Cartier calibre 049 automatic movement.
* Water resistant to 30m/100ft.
Info via Cartier, Watch Tribune and Watch Quote.
Daily thoughts, musings & interests about anything (mostly horology) that currently makes my soul & grey matter tick.